Pages

March 02, 2018

Yarn disaster, lovely days and Pysanky

While it snowed again and was blustery last night, earlier in the week it was warm enough to hang laundry outside, two days in a row no less!   It was gloriously warm and sunny, with a bit of a breeze so all the laundry actually dried completely as well.  I like hanging the laundry out, so when we get a couple of bonus days like we just had, I always try to take advantage of them.

I finished plying the first skein of the Merino/Alpaca blend I've been spinning.   Last night I washed it and hung it to dry.  I even paid attention to where I was hanging the skein, to try to keep it out of reach from kitty paws and jaws.   However this morning, despite my efforts, the skein was messed up and chewed to pieces.  Nobody knows which kitty it was though and not a single kitty it looking at it as if it were prey today.    So is yarn only a toy at night?   It seems that all the cats will ignore it during the day but it is fair game in the dark.   Now I need to find a safer place to dry skeins! 

I'm calling these my warm up Pysanky.   I'm doing a demo at the end of the month and need some samples.  Knowing how long it takes to write each egg, I thought that I'd start early.  I'm pretty happy with these two eggs, though the contast on the blue and turquoise one could be a bit better.

  I'm hoping to have not only a selection of different designs to show, but eggs in different stages of decoration to work on during the demo.  I think it would be easier to show to process that way, rather than just explain it while working on eggs as it takes even longer to decorate an egg while talking.     I will definitely try to keep them a bit safer from little hands this year.  I'm getting my daughter to do a supply run to the Ukrainian store in the city for me.   I'm trading her maple syrup and maybe some pie ;)



2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you’ve been busy! Kitties are difficult to manage around fiber. Mine leaves yarn alone with if I’m drying a scarf, she’ll jump up and pull it to the floor and then tear it to pieces by holding it and digging in with her lack claws. I have no idea what the attraction is but think of all the cat pictures with balls of yarn involved :-). Your eggs are marvelous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no, what a mess:( and even chewed through! I have been lucky with that, sometimes Pringles can't resist a small ball of yarn, esp. when it rolls off the table - but even though he tends to roll it around and sometimes pulls a thread or two - he doesn't actually chew it, so that all I have to do is untangle it. I think finding that mess is one of those moments, where one considers living without cats:)
    and I should really do a few new eggs for the easter branches myself, but I'd have to blow them out first, not a job I like doing:( playing with those dangling eggs - seems to be even better than with christmas bobbles, far more interesting (or so it seems:) than balls of yarn:) unfortunately also more breakable.... I won't do such a complicated job like yours though - a bit of paint or even felters will have to do. I used to dream about decorating some with bobbin lace - but by the time I remember that easter comes closer it's too late to even start:) good excuse, hm....:)
    have fun with the egg painting - and hopefully no breakages during the demo!
    Bettina

    ReplyDelete