Pages

November 20, 2017

Playing with Overshot

The rest of the 4/8 rug warp has been sitting on the loom waiting for inspiration.   I'd started another rug, but although they are quite fast to weave, there is all that cutting into strips and then making sure the weft is beaten down really well.   I'd put a fairly high price on the Shaker Rug, but it sold.  With all the spinning required for the specifically plied yarns, as well as the fabric strips, they are a fair bit of work.   If I'd known it would sell, I would have made another couple.  However I'd already rethreaded the heddles for an overshot project since there isn't a huge market for rag rugs.   Even using recycled materials for the weft, I can't compete with imports or even some of the guilds who, we were told, charge dramatically less than we do, so that our prices were too high.   I was told they sell tea towels for $9 and Queen size coverlets for $125, with the implication that so should we.

So, I'd rethreaded for an overshot patter from Davison's Green book - snowballs I think it's called.  The warp is handpainted in a variety of colours.   The tabby weft, could either have been white or dark.  I had some purple, which made the colours pop quite nicely.   I thought with the dark tabby weft and the bright colours, that white would pull things together.  I was very wrong with that.  The first sample with white wool was too thin.   I thought then that the white was too light, but I tried a slightly thicker white wool, which was also too thin.    I was at a store which sells regular old knitting yarns and picked up a jumbo ball of black acrylic worsted weight, to see what that would look like.    It was perfect - except of course it was cheap acrylic yarn - but it looks and feels right.

There are a couple of issues that I noticed after I'd gotten a good sized sample woven.   I'd neglected to reverse the selvedge border threading, so they are both facing the same direction.  As well, I'd neglected to consider that little connecting block and should have either eliminated it at the end or added it at the beginning of the pattern threads.    However, it is pretty stunning regardless of those errors.    I'm not sure what I'll do with this.  I have tons of warp left.   There are two different treadlings suggested for this threading.    If I weave it all off,  will either have lots of yardage or need to weave specific lengths for specific projects.    I'm just not sure what those would be.  The floats are just a little long to be really durable.  It is pretty though.




2 comments:

  1. the technicalities go way over my (non-weaver:) head - but I love the fabric that the warp with the black weft gives! the white kind of swallows the warp, but the black makes the colours sing! and I find people weird, who tell others that they over-prize their crafts. it takes so much time and effort to make these things, why would you literally give it away, just because others do? you wouldn't expect a mechanic or teacher or anybody else to work for free or very low wages - why should you as a crafter? the one thing that beats that though is the comment: but it's your hobby - you enjoy doing it (as an argument, why your work should be cheap)... sure, because I enjoy it I have to give away stuff to others? if you enjoy flying planes, shouldn't you do that for free as well??? funny world we live in:(
    anyway - enjoy weaving that lovely warp!
    Bettina (working down the christmas list takes precedence over nearly everything else just now - but one day I will start with my loom as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! And fascinating to weave, I'm sure.

    Pricing handwoven good is tough, and I'm glad your Shaker Rug sold. It's a lot of work, but unless one truly understands what went into it, then it's true value can't be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete