Pages

March 14, 2016

Stardate 3.14 Pi Day


 Happy Pi Day!

March 14 usually comes and goes with me being too busy to play in the kitchen.  Today I decided to take the time and try a new gluten free pastry recipe.    I sort of wish I had made 2 pies, just so the grammar would work.   However, I have 1 square tart pan or I could have used cake pans, which would have meant double the ingredients, having 2 pies of which 1 would go to waste and of course double the effort.   So I made only 1 pie and tried to ignore the grammar issues....

                                   Pie are squared

Pastry -

1/3 cup sorghum flour
1/3 cup millet flour
1/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup tapioca starch
3/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp cider vinegar
3-4 tbsn water
1/2 cup shortening


Mix all the dry ingredients until well blended.   Cut the shortening into the flour mixture until it resembles flakes and lumps the size of peas.   Drizzle in the vinegar and stir, while adding the water 1 tablespoon at a time, just until the dough comes together in a ball.   Let sit for a couple of minutes while you grease your pan.   Put the ball of dough on parchment and gently press until a flattened disk.  Cover with plastic wrap or parchment and gently roll from centre out to the edges  until the dough disk is large enough to fit your pie plate.   I removed the top layer of plastic/parchment and flipped it upside down (gently) onto my greased tin.  Then I gently pushed it down as I peeled off the bottom parchment.   Repair any tears and rips by patching and smoothing the area with a wet finger.

I have no idea what this tastes like yet, but it was pretty easy to work with and looks fine.  There was just enough to fill the tart tin and make the little pi symbol.     If it tastes great, then I won't have lost my recipe.  If not, well at least this year I celebrated PI day!

1 comment:

  1. I usually miss these days - distaff day, pie day etc... even worldwide women's day:) and I wouldn't even know where I'd be able to buy most of those ingredients here; you can buy a ready-mixed glutenfree flour, but for the rest...I'd probably have to do mail order! luckily none of us is allergic to gluten. but it looks good - I hope it tastes the way it looks, never mind the grammar:)

    ReplyDelete