Pages

May 02, 2013

Signs of Spring

I had just over half a bobbin of singles when I finished spinning up the orange/yellow superwash yarn.  There was only 50 grams to start with, so I knew I'd have to either make a short skein or ply it with something different.  I had both white and black superwash rovings on hand.  White seemed bright and washed out the colours a bit, so I spun up a bunch of black and plied it.  I filled my bobbin just as the black ran out.  I still need to spin up a bit more black to finish off the last of the orange bobbin.   This skein is 390 yards. 
We were doing a bit of cleanup outside the house when I yelled to my hubby to stop pulling down the overgrown vines.  These two little babes were sitting on the folded back awning.  They've not yet fledged, but the one sitting up brave and strong looks almost like it's ready to go.  They're Mourning Doves.   The silly birds seem to always build nests in the awning or sometimes even more inappropriate places.  Last year they were nesting near a leaky eavestrough and the year before on an open, unprotected ledge!
 It's amazing what a couple of mild, sunny days will do to the garden.  These pretty hyacinths literally popped overnight.  Once day they were little stubs in the ground and the next day they were tall buds.  It took 2 more days to be in full bloom.  I love walking by when the sun hits them and the perfume fills the air!   It's a lovely scent.  These purple blooms are forced bloom transplants from previous years.  It took them two years to develop normally, but they're beautiful.  The pink and lavender blooms were planted from a packet of department store bulbs.

3 comments:

  1. your yarn looks like lava to me:) and even though I like hyazinths - they don't do well outside over here, because they are so top heavy that a bit of wind makes them topple over:( every year I plant some out - and every year I am disappointed because they suffer from "bigheadedness" and lie flat on the ground in full flower...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The black was a perfect choice. Gorgeous yarn.

    I have to say that mourning doves seem a bit silly anyway. They are always the last to fly away from suspicious things. Not very bright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing on The Creative HomeAcre Hop! Join us for the new hop today, if you have time :)
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/05/the-creative-homeacre-hop-15.html

    ReplyDelete