Pages

July 09, 2012

June Colours in July

I had a bunch of photos for June colours, but managed to lose track of time and it was July before I realized that I'd totally missed my timing on that one.


 There were Hollyhocks in bloom.  Last summers purpley blue flowers didn't return, but there is a pink one tucked in a corner.  I had started some Black Hollyhocks last year.  They've bloomed this year, but only one of them is black.  The rest are this slightly lighter shade.  It's pretty but I don't know if it will have the same dyeing properties as the Black Hollyhocks.  I'm letting them go this year in hopes of them self seeding.


The Black Eyed Susan's have come up nicely.  With all the perennial losses we had in the garden this year, I was hoping they would be survivors.  They are pretty and their blooms last a long time, so much appreciated colour in the garden.






There is a tiny patch of pink Bergamot hanging out in the back of one of the flower beds.  I'd not noticed it back there, amongst the Dame's Rocket.   It was a cheerful and welcome sight when it finally bloomed.  I'd worried that it hadn't made it through the winter and hadn't noticed it, hiding in behind the other plants.   Now if only some Echinecea would surprise me with some pretty blooms.  However I think that perhaps all 3 of the plants are missing in action this year.







It's not a garden plant, but it seems to be enjoying the hot, muggy weather we've been having, out on the deck.  The Meyer lemon has not only fruit which is rapidly ripening, but has bloomed twice more this summer.  The first blooms resulted in 3 more little lemons and I'm hopeful that the second blooms, which are just opening will also give fruit!

2 comments:

  1. What colour of dye do you get from the black hollyhocks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think black hollyhocks should give a colour in the purple range. However, not having ever tried them before, it will be a good experiment. I do love hollyhocks though as they're old fashioned, pretty and attract hummingbirds and bees. I figured it was a way to get two benefits in one plant.

    ReplyDelete