Pages

June 14, 2011

Projects from the last couple of days

I've tried very hard to finish up the bag of Shetland roving.  I'm almost at the end and I'm starting to dislike it.  The last little bit is just ever so slightly compacted.  Stretching it out should help, but it doesn't really do much for it.  It seems to be all the shorter fibres.  I'd like to say it's a bit neppy, but there aren't really any bits and bumps in it, it just spins a bit lumpier than I'd like.   So during the last  Stanley Cup playoff game (1 more to go), I spun as much as I could bear and then switched to the pink socks.   I'd set them down and realized that if I didn't just pick them up and finish them, they'd not get done by the time they are needed, later this summer.   I thought it would take another week to finish them, but it was only 3 or 4 days.   I finished up the toe today and will graft it tomorrow when I'm not tired.   I had to knit the toe 3 times to get it close to matching the first sock - though it really didn't.  I'd left it too long to remember exactly what I did and forgot to write it down!


I finished dressing the loom yesterday.  I found one crossed thread, so fixed that and today, I started weaving.  I'll have enough weft for one of the bags but I'm not sure about the other. I should hunt down something else to use just in case I don't have enough.  It's prettier than I anticipated and I rather like it.    The two different browns blend together nicely and the blue stands out enough but isn't glaringly so.   Of course, tomorrow in the sunshine, I may get entirely different results.  It's a simple tabby.  I'm going to full it a fair bit, so I figured it wasn't worth putting a lot of effort into a pattern.  I didn't want to obscure the stripes too much either, nor did I have enough warp for a twill.  It's definitely a yarn leftovers project!

We went for a short hike at a local conservation area on Sunday.  It was supposed to be sunny, but instead was cool and cloudy until we got to the end of the trail.  At one point, I'd wished I had mitts on!  It's June for goodness sake.  One shouldn't need mitts in June!   We've had a few huge wind storms lately and there were a number of places where trees had been uprooted or broken, in dangerous areas.   There were a few places where they had to take chainsaws in to make it safer.   This was the only moment of brightness in the  whole 1 hour hike.

The buttercups were pretty.  There was a small patch of them near the end of the trail.  Other than that, there was one faded Columbine and some Dame's Rocket in a distant field.  Not much else blooming there right now.

2 comments:

  1. It just occurred to me in reading this post - Are you a fan of Diane Gabaldon's Outlander series? If not, I think it would be a good book fit for you. Good grief, I'm nearly two years retired from the library and still book talking. It's an affliction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't mind terribly to wear two different socks. ok, if I was a guy in an office I'd try not to wear one black, one brown - but with hand knitted ones they usually at least look similar:)) I don't know how many times I've made a pair, where I worked the decreases slightly different (once I even made a totally different heel, because I forgot which one I used for the first:))....
    love the weaving though - I like blues with tans/beige/light brown!

    ReplyDelete