Pages

January 17, 2011

Socks, mittens and course updates.

The BFF socks are done!   I put them on to get a piccy of them and ended up leaving them on my feet!  Very comfy they are!  The first sock was fast because I'd memorized the pattern by then but the second sock almost seemed to knit itself.  It was so intuitive by the second sock that it was brilliantly fast, fairly easy but not so simple that it was boring.  The end result is a pattern that I really like.  I like patterns which I can knit while I'm doing something else, like chatting, watching a movie or show or listening to the hockey game.



 I lost my favourite mittens!  They were made of handspun worsted weight, woollen spun wool/mohair blend in shades of grey and blue.  I knitted them up on small needles so that they would be wind resistant, without the thickness of felt, while still being lightweight and flexible.  Some felted mittens are pretty heavy and stiff.   They were warm and pretty.   One day I had them out shopping and the next time I looked for them, I couldn't find them anywhere.  Since it's cold here, I need my mittens.  I've borrowed my son's mittens, black and woad dyed Shetland but I don't want to abuse them too badly, so I'm having to knit another pair.  This is woad dyed (some sort of indigotin pigment anyway) Merino? maybe.   It's pretty soft and it's yarn which I spun at least several years ago.   It's not a large enough skein for anything other than hats or mitts.  I may make these ones bigger and trade my son for his, which have felted up a bit and fit me nicely, so must be too small for him.  I was going to do something fancy, but decided that quick and generic was the way to go for mittens in January.

Update on the log cabin tea towels..  I'm almost finished the 4th towel with one left after that.  I'm being good about only weaving after I've done a bit of homework, mainly, sort of....   Other than that, I'm fighting the feeling that I've not accomplished much lately.  It's the homework for the Master Spinner course.   I can spend half a day carding or combing fibre, spinning it to the required sample, doing the associated book work and what I have to show for it, is a 10 yard sample with the leftovers labelled in a basket.   It know it's time consuming but it doesn't look like a huge accomplishment for the time investment sometimes.  I will appreciate it when it's done though.  I'm starting to think about my 25 hour project... no idea yet what to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment