Pages

December 01, 2009

A Wooly Week

I've think I've discovered that I'm a bit of a yarn snob! I've been wanting to knit a new pair of socks. I've got one- yes, only one, skein of superwash sock yarn in my possession. I like the colourway - really, I like almost any colour but white, so that isn't much of an issue - but it's a 6 ply instead of a 4 ply! Every time I start to knit it up, I cringe and rip it out. I like fine sock yarn, I cannot tell a lie! This stuff just curdles my blood in a horribly icky way - and it's lovely yarn, in the skein. It would make super boot socks or something, but just not socks for little ol' me because it seems that I love to knit socks with lots of stitches. I can't even pretend to spin some sock yarn because superwash means I can toss it in the washer and I just don't happen to have any superwash rovings kicking around right now. I can't even make socks for one of my boys with it because this skein has an awful lot of pink.

The tencel scarf is off the loom. I made it a tad shorter than my first plans were. I realized that making it as long as I'd thought would make it a little less practical. Then I was left with a little more loom waste than I'd though, so I changed my treadling pattern and started weaving off the rest. Then wham- all of a sudden I had 6 or 7 broken threads in just a few minutes. The broken threads were only purple ones. Did I come across a weak spot in the cone of tencel? Another inch of weaving and another broken purple thread suggests that I did. Not wanting to have tons of little weights and threads hanging off the back, I broke down and cut the loom waste off early. I figured that I'd already completed the project and this was just the end bit, so that made it much easier.

There is a new scarf project on the loom. Hubby asked me to make as a thank you gift to a coworker. The warp is a silk/wool blend in a pale blue and cream heathered look. The weft is grey wool. The weave structure is a broken twill. I'm working on a second scarf, but I used a dark blue wool for the weft and am not sure I like the darker colour. I'm waiting to see what I really think on that one before I continue.

I found out that sometimes I can actually get enough bandwidth to watch an online episode of a program from FoodNetwork.ca. I grabbed my spinning wheel and spun up the rest of the grey wool while watching Chef Michael Smith make chicken and a barley risotto. This is a woolen fatter yarn in contrast to the grey embroidery threads I'd spun before from the same rovings. I just needed to spin something that would be soft and quick. I think maybe this fat skein will become a hat. It might be faster to just knit a new one than try to figure out which box the rest of the hats and mitts are packed in!

There is wallpaper stripping, wall priming and a hole found in the wall, behind a built in bookshelf.. but the camera batteries have died and I can't find the rechargeable ones or the packet of new batteries. I did find the charger though, so I'm halfway there.

3 comments:

  1. "I think I've discovered that I'm a bit of a yarn snob!"

    This is my "Shocked" face.
    It is very similar to my "Dialing for Pizza" face.

    I'm size 6.5 wide if your looking for a place to offload socks made from 6 ply yarn. I'm just helpin'!

    :) Brigit

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always weave something with the offending sock yarn! (Not that I encourage weaving over knitting....necessarily.)

    Your great projects make me wish today were a day with more weaving on tap for me. Tomorrow hopefully!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brigit - what you really need to do when you make that kind offer is to take a tape measure and say.. my ankle is this measurment, the ball of my foot is such and such and my foot is this long...
    without out that, all I seem to be able to make are size 8.5 narrow socks :)

    Sue - HI! I've woven with sock yarn once before with great results. Not sure why I hadn't even thought of it, although I only have the one skein, albeit 150 gms, so maybe not enough for anything major or a serendipity plaid project. Perhaps pretending it was a painted warp?

    ReplyDelete