Pages

November 18, 2009

Mushroom Pie

As requested...

Mushroom Pie
makes 1 9 1/2 in - 10 inch pie

1 single pie crust
700 gms button mushrooms ( about 1 1/2 lbs)
1 tbsn oil
1 cup grated cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ginger
pepper to taste
2 tbsn plain bread crumbs

Parboil the mushrooms. Drain well. Mix in the oil, cheese, spices and bread crumbs. Dump mixture into the pie shell. Bake at 350 F for about 40 minutes or until crust is done.


Notes -
* You can saute the mushrooms but I found they release more liquid requiring more breadcrumbs than when I boiled them. It only takes a minute or so in boiling water.
* Next time I'm going to substitute the ginger with Thyme.
* I used Old Cheddar cheese but I imagine that many other cheeses would work. I'm thinking brie would be awesome.
* My son thinks that spinach would be a good addition as well.

The recipe is based on one from Le Menagier de Paris, found on the Gode Cookery website.

2 comments:

  1. Nina, thank you! This sounds soooo yummy. I am interested in the use of ginger in the recipe. I've been reading Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery and Booke of Sweetmeats as transcribed by Karen Hess. In the introduction, she indicates why she believes the books predate authentic colonial American recipes, based on the ingredients used, for example the way ginger is used.

    One question, in the notes you mention sauteing the onions, but they aren't listed in the ingredients (?) Tell your son I agree about the spinache. And thanks for the website link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh - It was a typo... should have said you could saute the mushrooms. This pie is very simple in terms of ingredients and method. I will have to check out Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery. I agree that very early recipes use spices in a completely different way than we do today.

    ReplyDelete